Sunday, June 5, 2011

Still Learning About God

Something I know yet I'm still learning about God... He doesn't tell us everything. If He did, where would our faith in Him be?

He is a gentle and compassionate God. He gently guides us into things; not too fast or too slow but all in His timing.

When I moved to Lenexa last year, I prayed and asked God "What will I do there?" Going seemed to be right and I had peace with my decision. God gave me one word "intercity". When I asked what that meant, He was silent.

One year and two intense classes later moving me in His direction, I find myself serving in Wyandotte County at Mission Adelante teaching English to Bhutanese Immigrants. Wyandotte County is a county in the intercity of Kansas City.

Now I had never heard of the Country of Bhutan or the Bhutanese people group - yet here I sit looking into their beautiful eyes teaching them our language. They are very eager to learn as you would guess. Being in a country, not knowing the language can be very intimidating and frustrating. My heart is being opened up by these Bhutanese students. Lal Maya is one of the students and one of my new friends. The Bhutanese have been a displaced people group for the last 18 years living in tents in Nepal which is a small country just west of Bhutan between China and India. They are here getting a second chance to a better life; I can't wait to know more about them and their culture.

I know I am where I'm supposed to be; loving these precious Bhutanese people in a "Mission field in our own back yard". This is a statement from Mission Adelante that clearly defines their ministry.

We serve an awesome God. One that loves us so much. He has a plan and purpose for our life. Let Him guide you down His path in His perfect timing. Enjoy for He wants to give you His best.

1 comment:

  1. Watching this story unfold from a spectator's perspective has been an amazing testimony to The Lord's goodness and plan in our lives. Nana, you have been an obedient tool that the Lord has been able to use and mold. It will be exciting to see how He continues to move in your life with these people! I love you and I am extremely proud of you!

    ReplyDelete