Monday, August 30, 2010

BUMPS ALONG THE WAY

Along life's journey, we have big and small bumps. It's evident when we've gone over a big bump. But the small ones are equally important and instructive.

On my way home the other day, I was stuck in traffic 2 1/4 miles from my exit. I was patient, at first, knowing I was close to my destination. I was behind a big semi-truck so I couldn't see anything in front of me. The lanes on either side of me were going pretty fast but my lane was virtually stopped.

As our lane creeped then stopped, creeped then stopped, I began to wish I could see what was ahead of me. Why were the other lanes going and mine wasn't? Why couldn't I see where I was going?

After wrestling with my frustration, I began to see - not what was ahead of me but life as it is sometimes. It's not always the way we want it; sometimes we can't see what's ahead. I began to sing "I've got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart to stay". My frustration began to lift as I focused on the Lord and not the problem.

The 20 minutes in traffic felt like a long time. I realized that this big semi-truck ahead of me, tho it made it so I couldn't see, also shaded the sun so I wasn't sitting in the glaring heat.

Trust and believe that God has you on a journey with Him. He may not show you His whole plan but He will be with you along the way. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not calamity to give you a future and a hope".

1 comment: